Monday, September 8, 2014

Self-Portrait No. 1

I was looking at a book called Self-Portraits by Vivian Maier and thought I'd try my own self portrait.  Vivian created a book of shots of her reflected in many surfaces.  Vivian worked as a nanny. On her days off Vivian wandered around NYC with her camera looking for herself.  I don't think she wanted anyone to see the pictures because almost all the film was found in her storage locker after she died. She didn't want to think of herself as a photographer, just a nanny who took pictures.

I've been reading books about photographers who see something of themselves in their photographs.  Diane Arbus thought she was a freak and dirty so most of her photo were of people in the sex trade and retarded people.

Maybe that is what I do is wander around Seattle looking for myself.  Maybe I am lost and only I can find me.

No comments: